Dairy Free Potato Leek Soup
Potato Leek Soup is one of those healthy diet soups and can be part of a vegan meal plan. There are just a handful of ingredients making it simple to prepare. And if you are going vegan you can simply substitute the heavy cream, which is typically used in a potato leek soup, with cashew cream. It is easy to make potato and leek soup which makes this recipe for potato leek soup an all-time favorite when you are eating healthy food.
- 3-4 large leeks, chopped (use just the white part)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cups potatoes (white, red or russet), peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, fresh or dried
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, fresh or dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup Nature's Eats Raw Cashews to 1½ cups filtered water
- (See recipe for Nature's Eats Dairy Free Cashew Cream)
- 2 cups spinach, chopped or baby spinach
- Cut the dark green parts off the leeks and throw away. Rinse the leeks thoroughly. Fan the leaves and get out any mud or dirt hiding on the inside of the leaves. Slice the white and light green parts crosswise into ¼ inch slices.
- In a medium to large pot on medium heat, place coconut oil or olive oil and add the chopped leeks. Cover with oil and cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes or until leeks begin to soften. Do not brown the leeks.
- Add broth, celery, potatoes, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes until the potatoes and celery and thoroughly cooked. Once fully cooked remove bay leaf. If using fresh herbs remove the stems.
- In a Vitamix machine or immersion blender blend the soup until completely smooth. If you prefer chunky soup blend half of it and leave the remaining half for texture.
- Add in cashew cream and spinach. Continue to cook on low for approximate 5-10 minutes allowing the soup to thicken and the spinach to cook.
- Soup is ready to serve. Add salt if desired.