Bessie's Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Winner of the 2012 Nature’s Eats Holiday Recipe Contest, this dish celebrates the heartiness of beef with our light-hearted cranberry and pineapple products.
- 15 pounds of lean beef, lean
- 20 eggs, slightly beaten
- 11⁄3 cups bread crumbs
- 10 tablespoon beef bouillon
- 10 tablespoon worscheshire sauce
- 1½ cups Nature’s Eats Cranberries
- 1½ gallons water
- 3 cups Sparkling Cranberry juice
- 10 cups brown sugar
- 10 cups lemon juice
- 5 cups ketchup
- 5 tablespoon salt
- 1 small can pineapple chunks, drained
- 10 cups chopped/sliced red, yellow and green peppers
- 2 cups white onion, chopped
- 10 tablespoon cornstarch
- Combine Lean Beef, Eggs, bread crumbs, beef bouillon, and Worcestershire sauce and Nature’s Eats Cranberries. Mix well and shape into 1¼ inch balls.
- Brown the balls in a skillet over medium-high heat, remove from skillet and set them aside. Pour off fat.
- In the same skillet (or jumbo pot) combine all remaining ingredients except peppers, onions, and cornstarch.
- Stir well over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add meatballs and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes. Add peppers and onions, simmer 45 minutes then add cornstarch and heat thru.