Bessie's Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Winner of the 2012 Nature’s Eats Holiday Recipe Contest, this dish celebrates the heartiness of beef with our light-hearted cranberry and pineapple products.
- 15 pounds of lean beef, lean
- 20 eggs, slightly beaten
- 11⁄3 cups bread crumbs
- 10 tablespoon beef bouillon
- 10 tablespoon worscheshire sauce
- 1½ cups Nature’s Eats Cranberries
- 1½ gallons water
- 3 cups Sparkling Cranberry juice
- 10 cups brown sugar
- 10 cups lemon juice
- 5 cups ketchup
- 5 tablespoon salt
- 1 small can pineapple chunks, drained
- 10 cups chopped/sliced red, yellow and green peppers
- 2 cups white onion, chopped
- 10 tablespoon cornstarch
Combine Lean Beef, Eggs, bread crumbs, beef bouillon, and Worcestershire sauce and Nature’s Eats Cranberries. Mix well and shape into 1¼ inch balls.
Brown the balls in a skillet over medium-high heat, remove from skillet and set them aside. Pour off fat.
In the same skillet (or jumbo pot) combine all remaining ingredients except peppers, onions, and cornstarch.
Stir well over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add meatballs and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes. Add peppers and onions, simmer 45 minutes then add cornstarch and heat thru.